Yaya’s Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Prep Time: 45 Min
Cook Time: 30-40 min
Ready In: 1 Hr 15+ Min
Yield 12 servings, 3×3 inches each
9×12 inch baking pan
Large (12 in.) skillet
Medium (4 qt.) mixing bowl
Small (8 oz.) bowl
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 1/4 in.)
6 stalks green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 10-oz packages frozen cooked/chopped spinach (thawed, drained)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (or Greek yoghurt)
1 cup crumbled Greek feta cheese
12 sheets 9×12 phyllo dough
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil (for brusing pan & phyllo dough)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chopped onion, green onions and garlic, until the onions are soft and lightly browned.
3. Stir in spinach and parsley for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta or yoghurt, and feta. Sprinkle salt and allspice over the mixture, then stir in pine nuts and cooled spinach/onion mixture. Fold until ingredients are well mixed.
5. Lightly oil a 9×12 inch baking pan. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in the baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo (4 sheets total).
6. Spread half of the spinach and cheese mixture into pan.
7. Layer 4 more sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with olive oil. Then evenly spread remainder of spinach and cheese mixture.
8. Layer the last 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until light golden brown. Cut into 3-inch squares and serve while hot.
Pappou’s alternative preparation:
Beginning in step 5, lightly oil 2 flat cookie sheets. Then fill and fold phyllo dough into 12 triangle-shaped individual spinach “pockets”. Brush top of each triangle with olive oil. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes.
To form each triangle “pocket”, first fold the phyllo sheet in half (to 6×9 inches) and brush the top side with olive oil. Place about 4 Tbsp of spinach/cheese mixture in the middle of the folded sheet. Bring top left corner down on 45 degree angle to bottom center and repeat with top right corner. Now fold bottom 1-inch flap up to seal the pocket, brushing again with olive oil. Place on cookie sheet with folded side down. Brush the top with olive oil.